Kathleen Epperson, Rossmoor’s Dumpster Diva, was the featured presenter at the January 2019 Sustainable Rossmoor (SR) meeting. She gave a lively history and experience of her and her neighbors becoming expert recyclers.
Kathleen gave dozens of examples of what she’s found in dumpsters. She also gave tips for deciding what to put in the blue recycle, grey landfill and green composting containers.
Have a “Trash Talk” party a your entry. Kathleen will help you plan it. Trash Talk parties provide discussion, questions and answers. Here are examples:
- Question: Do you bag your clean, dry plastic bags inside a larger, see through plastic bag? Why Bag Bags?
- Answer: Flimsy, loose bags fly off the truck… One reason plastic bags are on the side of the road! …or get stuck in the newspaper bundles Plastic contaminates the paper!
Tips from one of her slides: Found in RECYCLE but DOESN’T BELONG there!:
- Salad dressing (bottle must be empty and without a cap )
- Chicken bones in take-out container
- Kleenex, cleaning wipes, paper towels
- Loose shredded paper (must be knotted in a bag)
- Plants and dirt
- Snack & candy wrappers
Download her 38-slide PowerPoint presentation in pdf format by clicking on this link: Adventures of a Recycle Dumpster Diva.
The January 12, 2019 Rossmoor News had a first page article about Kathleen advocating for recycling. You can read “Dumpster Diva: Advocating for recyling is one woman’s mission.”
For more information see pages 18 through 24 of the 2019-2020 Rossmoor phone book or go to RecycleSmart.org
For help planning a “Trash Talk” party for your entry contact Kathleen.