How to use the EV charging stations in Rossmoor at a glance*
The three groups of electric vehicle (EV) charging stations are almost complete. Gateway has the first set of charging stations available for use. There are 10 parking spaces with charging connectors at each location: the Gateway parking lot across from the bus stop, the west side of the Fitness Center parking lot, and the Event Center parking lot. Each location includes two handicap-accessible-compliant stations.
The GRF Board has adopted some rules for use:
- Parking at all locations is NOT dedicated to electric vehicles.
Parking is first-come, first-served for all vehicle types from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Parking IS dedicated to EVs between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m.
- There is a three-hour limit for charging between the hours of 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- EVs plugged in over three hours between the hours of 6 a.m. and 10 p.m. will be charged a penalty rate of twice the normal rate.
- Rates do apply for charging. The rates include the cost of electricity plus a 20 percent mark-up for GRF and any fees charged by the service provider Greenlots (currently a 5% surcharge).
- Rates will be available on the Greenlots website (www.greenlots.com/ev-drivers/ and APP.
- Residents with electric vehicles will need to call or go on the Greenlots website to register and get the APP or a RFID key fob. See accompanying article from Greenlots on frequently asked questions.
Charging at the Gateway EV charging station using the Greenlots App (notes by a SR member)
- activate the Greenlots App on your mobile phone (this is not the RFID key fob procedure)
- scan the station bar code or enter the station number by hand: the Gateway Station ID number is: 112476U (Note the Station ID 112476U is same for all 10 Chargers/Connectors at this location; it will be different for another location such as the Events Center.)
- select the “Connector” (See screen-shot with purple circle around the “8 SAEJ1772” connector entry. Touch the screen for a drop-down box showing all the connectors available at this location and select the one you intend to use.)
- touch “START Charge“ (touch “STOP Charge” when finished)
Here are frequently asked questions on charging electric vehicles at the new EV charging stations in Rossmoor.
Q: How does a driver start a charge session?
Start a session with the free Greenlots APP, a Greenlots RFID card or call 855-7584. Sign up at www.charge.greenlots.com.
Q: Can my electric vehicle use the stations in Rossmoor?
Yes. Most electric vehicles are equipped with the standard J1772 level 2 charging port. For DC Fast Charging Stations, CHAdeMo or CCS are also standard on most electric vehicles.
Q: Can a driver pay with a credit card?
Yes, you can pay with a credit card using the mobile APP, or by calling 855-900-7584.
Q: How much does it cost to use?
Session fees vary and are determined by the site owner, but the Greenlots APP lists the pricing for each station.
Q: What if the driver needs help?
The customer care team is available to assist drivers 24 hours a day, seven days a week and can be reached by calling 855-900-7584.
Q: How can a driver find the Greenlots APP?
It is available for free on the App Store and Google Play.
Q: How can a driver order a Greenlots RFID card?
After signing up, log in to your driver account to request an RFID card or call 855-900-7584.
Q: Can the stations be used in the rain?
Yes. The station is safe to use in all weather conditions, but charging may be slower in cold or hot conditions.
* EV Charging Station Information courtesy of the Rossmoor News, July 25, 2018; p. 8A.